|Beavis and Butt-head character|
|David Van Driessen|
|Age||30's to 40's|
|Voiced by||Mike Judge|
|First||Peace, Love and Understanding|
David Van Driessen is a hippie teacher at Highland High School.
A kind, peace-loving sort, he expresses eternal optimism in Beavis and Butt-head's potential and consistently forgives them for their misbehavior. Only rarely does he lose his temper or punish them. The episode Cleaning House shows one of his only instances of pure anger at the duo after they destroy his beloved 8-track collection by washing it in the sink. A song from the book This Book Sucks, "The Ballad of Beavis and Butt-head," hints that he is actually frustrated with Beavis and Butt-head and that he is haunted by their laughter.
Van Driessen usually expresses his disapproval with the duo's inattention and crude humor, often coupled with a mild lecture, urging the boys to "be more open to life's experiences" and to be less crude and more sensitive towards women.
Van Driessen also encourages his students to get in touch with their feelings and to "wow" him with their creativity towards their assignments. He has the habit of ending his sentences with "mkay?". He believes in non-violence, cooperation, and expressing one's feelings. He and Coach Buzzcut, the gym/health teacher, clash in their methods of dealing with Beavis and Butt-head.
Van Driessen is perhaps the only character on the show (besides Daria and Stewart) who does not hate the duo. He sticks up for them when they are threatened by others, e.g., Mr. Manners in the episode Manners Suck. He also expresses sadness (while the other teachers feel relief) at the news of the duo's "death" in Beavis and Butt-head Are Dead.
Van Driessen's appearance consists of a purple T-shirt with a peace sign on the front, jeans, and sandals with white socks. He also has long reddish blond hair and a neatly trimmed beard.
- Van Driessen was fired by Principal McVicker in "School Test," which is to date his final appearance on the show.
- Van Driessen appears in the Sega Genesis game to give the duo cryptic hints for finding three of their ticket pieces. He also appears during the game's end credits, playing his guitar for a band of woodland creatures.
- Van Driessen also appear in the game Beavis and Butt-head Virtual Stupidity.
- Van Driessen is also a skilled guitarist and singer/songwriter. His songs featured on the show include "Men" and "Touch a mountain." Every time he tries to play a song however, he is severely injured. This was a running gag on the show, continued in Beavis and Butt-head Do America when he sings "Lesbian Seagull" to his students and is then arrested by ATF agents.
- His voice was inspired by a reporter who interviewed Mike Judge's friend, Sam Myers. His voice and personality are similar to that of Gerald Goode from Judge's short-lived series The Goode Family.
- In his song "Chopping Wood with My Father" from the book This Book Sucks, Van Driessen reveals that he had a difficult relationship with his conservative father, who was dying from Alzheimer's at the time. He also had a brother named Tom, who died serving in the Gulf War.
- Van Driessen most recently appears on the track "Handle with Care" on the Kid Cudi album Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven, in which he encourages Beavis and Butt-head to take hallucinogens and meditate.
|Protagonists||Beavis · Butt-head|
|Recurring Characters||Stewart Stevenson · Tom Anderson · Todd Ianuzzi · Burger World Manager · Mr. Stevenson · Mrs. Stevenson · Lolita and Tanqueray · Maxi-Mart Owner|
|Highland High School||Daria Morgendorffer · David Van Driessen · Principal McVicker · Coach Bradley Buzzcut · Mr. Herrera · Kimberly · Cassandra · Earl · Mrs. Dickie|
|Minor Characters||Hamid · Clark Cobb · Dave · Harry Sachz · Homeless Man · Mr. Manners · Sergeant Dick Leakey · Madame Blavatsky · Redneck Lady · Crazy Farmer · Billy Bob · President Bill Clinton · Biker Lady · Marcy Anderson · Sterculius, the Roman God of Feces · St. Peter · Unnamed Police Officers|
|Movie||Muddy Grimes · Dallas Grimes · ATF Agent Bork · ATF Agent Flemming · FBI Agent Hurly · Old Woman · Motley Crue Roadie|